Willow Weaving Workshop
Time & Location
About the Event
Willow weaving is a traditional craft that can be used for a variety of different purposes, from garden borders and animal enclosures to walls of houses baskets and artwork. Learn to weave a support for climbing plants, a flat trellis and willow hurdles for fencing or raised beds.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
- How to make woven frames for climbing plants such as peas and beans
- Hands-on weaving portable fence panels and bird boxes.
- How to weave a Living Willow Structure
- The tools and materials used in hurdle making
- Woodland management, including Hazel coppicing and growing Willow.
- Sourcing and grading Hazel/Willow
On this course you will be shown how to stake up and weave a willow hurdle. The techniques taught can then be used and adapted to suit your own requirements and designs at home.
Projects which can be undertaken with these techniques include; screening, raised beds and borders for flowers and vegetables and green compost bins. More ambitious and larger fencing projects can also be explored while we work and chat.
Please note you need a good level of manual dexterity in your fingers. You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season. Home-cooked lunch and refreshments will be provided. Suitable for 16 years or over.